Monday, September 20, 2010

Amalfi Coast














I am sorry, everyone, because you should all be very jealous of my weekend. I didn’t really plan to see the Amalfi Coast before I came to Italy, and I didn’t know very much about it, but when some of my friends said they were headed there I told them to count me in. I was not disappointed. NOT AT ALL.
I wish my camera charger didn’t burn (silly me), because I didn’t get to take any of my own pictures. I hope to steal some from the other people who went.

On Friday morning we met at the train station, for our journey. We took a train to Rome, and then a train to Naples, and then a train to Sorrento, and then a bus to our Hostel. After seven hours we made it to Marina del Contone(?) where we would be staying for the weekend. The trip there went way smoother than I expected, and we didn’t get stranded anywhere. We sat by some serious creepers on the train, but we all made it alive and untouched. It was unreal, and when we took the windy road to our hostel, I could not believe how beautiful it was. It was something I have always seen in pictures but never really thought I would see up close. The roads were very narrow, yet still two way, and the bus had to honk its horn every time we went around curves to warn cars coming from the other direction. We even had to back up once because we almost got into a head on collision with another bus. Good thing those bus drivers are SKILLED.

Our hostel was right along the beach. Needless to say we could not hold in our excitement. It was my first hostel experience, and I was not disappointed. We stayed in an 8-person bungalow. (We had bunks, like we were at camp!) We had two bathrooms and a kitchen and it was up the road from the beautiful sea. We went straight to the beach and went swimming in the warm Mediterranean water. It was salty, but amazing. We hung out there for a few hours and then we headed up to wash off and eat. We went to bed early (after some pillow talk, because we had bunks).
We woke up at eight the next morning and again, went straight to the beach. We sat around for a couple hours and then we went and bought croissants with my favorite, nutella (seriously I am in love with the stuff). After we ate breakfast, we went back to the beach. We literally hung out at the beach all day. I swam a bunch because it was nice to swim in a body of water that wasn’t freezing. It was probably the most relaxing day I have had in a really long time. I did not have a single worry. Most of the group decided to go snorkeling, but I decided not to since I get seasick and I don’t care for sea creatures. So Jordan, Cara, and I just sat at the beach and waited. The group that went snorkeling had a great time, even though a jellyfish stung Jessica.
We stayed at the beach until about 7 or 8 and then we went and had dinner and returned to bed fairly early. We returned home on less creepy trains, and we even got to ride those trains with cabins, like in Harry Potter! Viterbo was much colder than down south, and I was freezing when I walked home in my shorts and t-shirt, but I was glad to be back. It feels like home!
While we were there, I kept wishing that everyone I knew could come and see the Amalfi coast at some point because it is so beautiful. They have lemon trees and olive trees, huge cliffs with medieval lookouts at the top. GREEN EVERYWHERE. I just vacationed at the Amalfi Coast. No big deal.

3 comments: