Friday, September 10, 2010

Italian Laundry

I did laundry for the first time today. It took Kim and I fifteen minutes just to figure out what setting to use. The worst part is hanging my clothes on the clothesline. Since it keeps raining I have to keep my eye out to make sure I pull my clothes in before it rains. This morning we went to go meet our landlady and to pay rent. The land lady and her husband had a long negotiating conversation with one of the program directors, while we waited. Both of us listened to the conversation, and both of us actually understood most of it! I was so excited. It is very interesting to watch them discuss, they have absolutely no problem interrupting or even talking at the same time. I wish I could speak it as well as I could understand it. Understanding it takes a lot of focus still.
We went grocery shopping also, and I have noticed some differences about the people who work around here. When they are helping you, it is not rude to answer the phone in the middle of the conversation, even if it is a call on your cell phone. Cashiers sit in chairs while they ring you up, which is something I really wish I could have had when I worked back home. We shop at the Despar, which is a small grocery store a few blocks from us. One day I went in and the cashier was just drinking a beer and hanging out. (This was during the Santa Rosa festival, but still I thought this was different). You also bag your own groceries. It is very relaxed here, which is emphasized with the parso pranza (the 3 hour break they take every day).
Everyone smokes here. I have seen parents smoking around their children, or even into their children’s faces. If anyone saw this in America, these parents would be JUDGED, but here it is just no big deal.
This morning we stopped in a cafĂ© for a pastry. The lady knew we spoke English and she asked me where I was from. I told her I was American, she looked surprised but very excited. We all stick out with our backpacks, and the workers at the Pizzerias and Istanbul Kebab are very interested in our program. They are excited to hear “studio Italiano” When we make the effort to communicate in their language they are usually considerate enough to communicate back with the little English they know.
What makes me happy is when I walk ANYWHERE, and I see the little old ladies arm in arm walking slowly and talking quietly to each other, or shop owners standing outside of their shops hanging out with their neighbors. I love smelling the homemade dinners, watching everyone eat gelato every day, and seeing the laundry hanging out the window (except my laundry, I miss having a dryer).

3 comments:

  1. I love these collumns. haha
    kinda like Marley and Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am still sooo jealous but love it that you are one happy chica...aren't you glad you didn't go to Torino? by the way when they are speaking to you in english some are actually hoping that you will speak to them in English! so occasionally you ought to accomodate them too!

    when the whole family was in Pisa the girls would go down every moment to a Bar and get hot chocolate-he didn't speak english and of course they didn't speak italian-but they all had the best time! he was so thrilled to see them each morning and of course they thought they had died and gone to heaven-he always gave them extra sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No dryer! That's torture :) Ok, so maybe I'm a little spoiled here, but I don't know how I'd feel about hanging out all my clothes for everyone to see - not to mention rain, pigeons, or anything else. But such is life and really, it's just exciting to be in Italy :) I hope all is going well for you. Those pictures of Italy from the other posts are gorgeous (especially that one of you with the sppon on your nose) :) That one of Kevin had both of us laughing. - Carolyn

    ReplyDelete